Monday, July 26, 2010

heresy

There are just way too many TV shows aimed at little kids. There are just way too many cable channels. This can't be good to placate kids at their level. My parents and their peers joked about TV being a boobtube babysitter, but outside of Sesame Street and Mister Rogers, most of the crap I watch was intended for older audiences. We had to have a little bit of a mature sense of entertainment. Adam West's Batman was my favorite show at age 5 and it wasn't intended for me.

Sure they claim the shows are educational, but they create a 24/7 womb of targeted visuals. Everything plays at their level. I still like watching Sesame Street because the writers understand that adults are also watching. They make jokes that a 3 year old won't even come close to getting. What 3 year old knows about Groucho Marx on You Bet Your Life (outside of my future 3 year old)?

No comments: