Tuesday, December 7, 2010

What's that Lassie

While making brownies this afternoon, I learned two things about the baby. First she had gotten into a drawer and pulled out ketshup packets from McDonald's. Without me noticing it, they somehow ended up behind the heel of my slipper. I stepped back and felt the tell-tale pfffffft. The red sauce had shot across the room onto the garbage can and the wall. My daughter looked as innocent as possible as I grabbed a bunch of towels to keep her from spreading the mess.

In my frustration I looked at her and said, "Get the squirty bottle." That's what we have the clean up fluid inside. She bolted out of the kitchen and into the living room. A couple seconds later she returned with the squirty bottle and put it in front of me. She did understand what I wanted. And it was a rather complicated concept.

I felt proud as I finished cleaning. Then I had a fearful thought: What does she know that she's not letting on about?

No comments: