Tuesday, February 2, 2010

missing her

The Mother-in-law calls semi-unexpectedly at 3 p.m. to let me know that she was coming over to get Josie and watch her till Friday. Seeing how it had recently snowed and was rather nasty outside, I figured she wasn't coming. I almost wanted to just keep the baby, but it turns out she's calling from the road and is a few blocks away. I scurry around getting stuff ready for a few days at grandma's house.

The baby gives me that stare of "what the hell is the point of you not packing?" When grandma arrives, the baby isn't happy. She's crying as pack up her bottles. And I really feel bad. I hold her knowing it'll be a few days until she sees me again.

Normally I'm not this emotional about passing her off, but she's finally saying "mama" and "dada." Lately she's been saying a lot of "mama" since Becky's been away since Sunday. It's strange explaining things to her when I'm not quite sure what she means with her noises. But it doesn't hurt to act like we're talking.

I caught myself wanting to go upstairs to check the crib to see why she's quiet.

But deep down, I need a good night's sleep that ends when I'm damn well ready to wake up.

No comments: