Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Nickname Game

Now that everyone knows we refer to the upcoming addition as "The Butterbean," it's strange to see who really likes the nickname.

My side of the family is from the great urban joy of Boston. Becky's kin live in rural Virginia. So you'd think you'd know which relatives would be horrified at us saying how the Butterbean is doing. But it's Becky's family that are complaining that we shouldn't call 'em Butterbean. Mainly cause they fear it will stick. Yet my uncles and aunts up in Boston get a complete kick that we call it Butterbean. My mom laughs when she says it. My mother-in-law doesn't even want to acknowledge the nickname.

I think it's proper for a child conceived in Virginia to have a goofy food based nickname. Although we keep explaining that in a few months, it'll be called The Butterball. Although I hope that the child doesn't suffer from buttahface.

No comments: