Thursday, May 21, 2009

Break out the tools

I've promised Becky that tomorrow I'll construct the pack n play - what was formally known as a play pen. It will be the first step of turning the living room into a baby room. This will be the big moment of admitting the kid is coming and she'll be a part of my domain. Sure changing the guest room into the nursery was a big change, but if I close the door, I don't have to think about what's going on. My living room is different. it's where I live. This is the room with my computer, my desk chair, my bookcases that has signed editions from Jackie Chan, Ric Flair, Kurt Vonnegut and Ed McBain, my record cabinet that has all the vinyl I collected in college, all my DVDs and my grandfather's bowling trophy. Pretty much everything that my wife says look like I've taken over her life.

And now here comes the pack n play. Why can't babies just sit on the sofa and use the coffeetable to hold their bottles? They act so damn helpless.

I should put plastic up over the bookcases as a drool guard.

Now I have to use tools and make sure I follow the instructions since I don't need Josie to whine about daddy's innovative designs on a pre-packaged product. Plus I can't let holes cause she'll just escape and I'll be looking like the idiot.

No comments: